Sunday, September 7, 2008

3-Brandon: Crucifixión


Art is beauty. Beauty is Art. As such it is the subjective nature of creation and existence that makes art, not intention or historical significance or anything else (Note: This is not to say that a historical event cannot be beautiful & add artistic value value to one's life, in example).
Crucifixión, or Corpus Hypercubicus, is a piece by my personal favorite artist, Salvador Dalí done in 1954. The reason the piece is so meaningful to me is the personal significance it holds. Dalí had worked with Professor Thomas Banchoff, one of my favorite authors and a math professor I will be taking a course with next semester at Brown, who is widely regarded (and to which point I hold true as well) as one of the greatest portrayers of geometrical beauty, particularly dealing with higher dimensions in the world. This piece portrays Christ on an unfolded hypercube in three-space. I was also thinking of putting up the Klein bottle or Koch snowflake as ideas that truly fascinate me.
In the end, I guess beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

4 comments:

brownfoundations said...

I know is pretty tangential to what you wrote, but the first thing you said about beauty being art and art beauty... it reminded me of Keats' famous line: "Beauty is truth, truth beauty."

It made me wonder, is art truth? Philosophical truth? Experiential truth?

-Becca

brownfoundations said...

I agree that art does not need to have intention as long as it has meaning. You're statement reminded me of the discussion we had regarding the broken glass bottle being art. Even if its creation was accidental, it can still be art if it affects its viewers on a personal level, just like Dali's piece holds personal significance to you.

-Kaori

brownfoundations said...

I had no idea about Professor Banchoff's association with Dali. That's really interesting, and I'd love to learn more about that. It seems natural for Dali to find beauty in geometry. Math seems to exist in a surreal other dimension, and it lends itself well to that style. As a undecided/former math concentrator, I love math for its beauty. Forms of math are so perfect and perfectly complex. I think I'm interested in exploring that further this semester.

brownfoundations said...

Sometimes, good art can be ugly though, no? As long as it strikes you as something.(this should be familiar http://dailybiz.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/the-scream.jpg)
Mathematics is beautiful though, I completely agree.

-serin