Sunday, September 7, 2008

Basquiat by Caroline


I think that the definition of art can be better understood when one considers the artistic process. I think the key lies in the human interception of the environmental stimulus or one's muse, whatever it may be (a flower, a figure, a political ideal etc.) and the artists' ability to produce a new perspective through any medium. Therefore, i would venture to say that any creation brought about by this method i see as 'art'.
The piece i chose was an untitled work of Jean-Michel Basquiat made in 1984. I think he gives the viewer an interesting peek into his artistic process of creation.

1 comment:

brownfoundations said...

I really like and agree with this definition, especially the fact that one understands art better once considering the thought process behind it. For example, in museums, I personally can appreciate a work of art infinitely more when I have an idea of what that "muse" was. But sometimes, it is an event within itself to try and figure out what the meaning behind a work or art is. The definition of art must be general because the meaning and intention can sometimes be so abstract.

-serin