Monday, September 8, 2008

Zung: Emotions are mine




Art, to me, is the expression of emotions,of thought; from an individual, interpreted by other individuals. There is no right, no wrong, no reason; no set stone criteria to tie things down. It is an I like - you like thing. Some works may gain more popularity than others. And humans always try to manipulate and control, hence we come up with Art laws and Artistic rules and criteria to judge, and an elitist few may have more power to decide what sells and what not. But even children can tell you which painting they like best, for the feel for Art is in us all.

It is probably funny that I say this all and end up choosing Van Gogh for my favorite piece. I like Van Gogh because of his signature brush strokes and vivid colors and eye for detail. I choose this painting because it is hanging in my bedroom right now,and I'm staring and it, and the reason it hangs there is because it brings out emotions of peace, familiarity and nostalgia to me. Of starless nights I sit on a terrace, on rooftop cafes (Vietnamese-milkybrown-lotsofsugar)looking at a lake and stream lights of motorbikes passing by. Not in Europe, but on equally dwindling old city streets half way around the world.

No comments: